This morning has consisted of waking up (trying to), going to an excellent jazzercise class (honestly the best way to get the morning started), getting to talk to the nicest people, and then coming home to reading about the NY gay marriage bill passing. It's funny how you can see God in so many places, and so far, today there have been many.
For one, I love the bonding nature of my workout class; everyone is so kind and supportive, and it always makes me want to go back. I got to see many people today that I haven't in a while, and it was nice to be back. Waking up to music, smiles, and laughter is the best!
Then, once I got home, reading the comments posted about the NY bill, the positive and the negative, was revelatory. The negative comments were to be expected...I very much expected them. I was told by one woman that I need to stop trying to be popular and that I need to turn to Christ and follow Him because now is not the time to give up. Well, apparently, I'm not working hard enough to lead a Christian lifestyle. She was trying to be nice about it...I'll give her that. But above all, the comments of hope and acceptance and love were the greatest sign of God and love that I saw today! The fact that this bill was even passed is a beautiful thing! For those who believe being gay is about having multiple flings, it's not; not any more than being heterosexual and having flings. I have seen many gay couples who are committed, loving, monogamous, and have God-centered relationships. This is more than I've seen in many heterosexual couples and marriages! Who you love does not define you. How you love does! I am not God; I do not know exactly what God specifically always defines as right or wrong. But I do know that God is love...Christ came to show us God's love. He did not come to shake his finger at us and say we are all bad people and we need to start focusing on getting into Heaven; but he did come to say that we are wrong in our perception of God and we need to start focusing on making Heaven here, God's Kingdom here on Earth, now. In my spiritual discernment, I have found God calling us to be loving and tolerant, open-minded and free of worry. It makes me sad to see so many people full of fear and worry. But I don't believe at all that that was what God came to do, to make us feel afraid and rejected. I see this bill passing as a sign of progress, not only for society, for the political issue of marriage, but also for those who love God and are committed to his work here on Earth. Love is a beautiful thing when it is true love, Godly love. We might not be able to always help who we love, but God can teach us and let us choose how to love.
No comments:
Post a Comment