I'm taking some time today to reflect on the past year and think about the new year. Most people do this every year on New Year's Eve. We make a million resolutions and rarely succeed at keeping them. I'm guilty of the same, but this year I want to try something different.
Now, of course, there are the common resolutions I'm planning: lose a few pounds, drink more water, exercise more. I am planning those few out specifically with a regimen (thanks to Behavior Modification class two years ago), as part of my everyday schedule, and will check them off in my planner as I do with all my school assignments. I think that's the only way to succeed in those.
But, above all, my number one resolution for the new year is to be open and listen for God. For me, this reflection is a looking back on where my priorities fell this past year, specifically this past semester. My priorities fell onto my relationships with people, taking care of others and doing what I love to do, talking and listening with others. Schoolwork came second, but it often fell to the wayside. Somehow, by the grace of God, I did very well this semester, but is wasn't my best effort by far. Work probably came into a tie with schoolwork; it became a chore for me to take the time to go to work, when in the past, I have very much enjoyed it. I did enjoy meeting some new co-workers and making new friends at work, but once again, that was the relationship/people priority kicking in.
I lost track of my relationship to God this semester, because everything became so stressful and busy that I didn't make the time to be still and listen. In the new year, I am planning to take the time for God, the Creator, the Savior, the ultimate friend and Father. When all becomes so busy, life becomes a rush, a blur. Everything suffers, including the relationships with my friends and family, my schoolwork, and the discernment of who I am and what I am going to do with my life. When there is instability in life, the sole being who is stable, stable in love, in comfort, in understanding, and in relationship, is God. I hope everyone can remember that in the new year. We all want everything to be balanced and working smoothly and stably (relationships, work, mental health) but nothing will, if God isn't first. I have come to realize that this year. It is very okay, no, absolutely necessary, to find the time to be still.
People are very important to me. I want to dedicate my life to helping others, loving people the way they deserve to be treated and understood. I hope to advocate for social change, living my life as what I hope a disciple of Christ would be like. The most important thing I can do for people in my life, and what I will work towards in the new year, is to be a better listener and communicator. If ever we hope to work together in the world and make anything of this world, we have to listen to each other. And we must be honest as well. Everyone deserves honesty; without it, there is no understanding. And without understanding there is no trust. I pray for everyone in their relationships with others, including neighbors, friends, family, and significant others in the new year. If there is any time for reconciliation and working through hardships and disagreements, the time is now.
On another note, this past year has been a great one for self-discovery and change. I have decided to adopt vegetarianism (nearly veganism) as a lifestyle. It has changed my outlook on the world and on my health. I see animals in a whole new light, which is generally difficult to explain to most people, but it was a good and necessary choice for myself. Also, I am in the process of still discerning what I will do this summer. I am for sure planning to go back to the Dominican Republic to do more mission work; I love those kids and the people there so much! I wish I could say the trip will be entirely unselfish, but it won't be entirely. There is too much love there for me to pass up going:) I do pray I can touch their lives in a positive way, and I'm very glad my mom will be coming for the first time. I may be doing an internship at a church this summer (not quite sure yet), as well, in hopes of figuring out somewhat where my life is going. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of working anywhere all summer, but time will tell what I'm meant to do.
In reflecting back on the past year and looking ahead to a new one, I pray everyone sees the changes they must make now. It's not that a new year starting is a reason to change. A new year is just time passing. But, the new year is symbolic of a new better start to our lives. It is for us to to look within ourselves and see what it is we must change now to better ourselves and this world.
I hope everyone has a Happy New Year and enjoys the time in the company of friends and family. Eat lots of good food and enjoy yourself. But remember those who may not enjoy themselves tonight and those whose circumstances don't allow them to better their lives in the new year. I pray one day we won't have to make a million resolutions we can't keep, when the positive changes to ourselves and the world become permanent changes. For now, we'll make resolutions and have to work extra hard to keep them as best as we can. In the new year, we must have hope, not in ourselves alone, but in God to work through us towards positive change and social justice. I hope everyone has a Happy New Year, full of peace, strength, and love!
No comments:
Post a Comment