It's been a good seven months since I last wrote. I've been slacking on my writing, but as most of us are, I've been very busy. Since I last wrote, much has happened.
First, I've decided how I'm going to spend my summer because now we're already halfway through the summer. This summer, I chose to spend in discernment of ministry to the Church. I know I want to work in the Church and know in my heart that I cannot separate my vocation from God and my faith. So, I have been working two internships this summer. The first is through my church, Christ Episcopal Church in Winchester, VA. It has been a blessing to be able to serve at my home church because though I've been there for a little over 2 years, there have been many things for me to learn and many people to meet. It is a fairly large church, so I am still learning names and the process of how to do things. But I am enjoying it very much. During the week, through the month of June, I worked in the office doing odd jobs and trying to learn as much as possible. And every Sunday, I help serve at both services (8am and 10:30am), which are each different in their own ways. I especially love serving on Sunday mornings because it is great to observe up-close and first hand and to be involved. Learning comes from diving right in and experiencing, which I am having many opportunities to do.
At the end of June, I left the country for 10 days. A team of fifteen of us, including my mom and me, went to the Dominican Republic to lead a Bible school and paint a school. I had been once before, but I tried to go in with an open heart and mind for new experiences. And what a new experience it was! We had a wonderful team, and we all meshed well. Almost no one was too afraid to jump right in and take action. I realized very quickly that my Spanish had much improved from two years previous and it made me so happy to be able to communicate and understand. One of my first realizations in discernment this summer is that I need to continue learning Spanish. I really believe it is useful now and will be so even further on in ministry. Working with the kids in the DR was the highlight of my trip. I knew it would be, but the feeling can not be captured until you're there. Unlike 2 years ago, when we left Bani for the final leg of our trip in Santo Domingo, I cried. I didn't expect to, but it was so emotional to leave the people we'd grown so close to. I learned so much about patience and flexibility and especially just loving and building relationships across all boundaries. Comfort is relative when you are with people who love and care for you. Despite the heat, long days, and lack of clean water, time went by too fast, and I barely thought of being uncomfortable.
Two days after I got back, it was time to get into my second internship. I am the program director for a summer program through Amor Y Paz Iglesia Metodista Unida. It is a Latino congregation who supports many social programs in the community. Every summer, in order to keep children off the streets and learning about Jesus, it hosts a summer program for a fraction of the cost of most summer kids programs. I had begun by planning many things for the program, but quickly learned that I would need to learn to go with the flow. We have been following my curriculum, but it is very lax. From day to day, I don't always know the dynamic or which kids will be attending. Yet, so far, it is going very well. On a normal day, we start off by serving the kids breakfast. Afterwards, I tell them a Bible story (one about Jesus, as my theme for the curriculum is "Jesus is the best friend we could have")and help incorporate a theme of something that makes a good friend, which Jesus does or a quality he has. Then, the kids' favorite part is singing music. I started off with only songs in English, but we have now added some in Spanish that I learned and taught in the Dominican Republic, and the kids love them! Then we spend the rest of the morning doing a craft and/or other activity to tie into the theme. At 12:30, it is lunch time, but for a while, I was never sure what would be prepared or who would bring food. Last Monday, I was told the person who was to bring food wasn't going to come, so I called a local church ministry which works with the local food bank and found out about their program of summer lunches. Every M-Th, they provide a well-balanced lunch free for children, no questions asked. So, the children had lunch that day because of this wonderful ministry! I think we're planning to go there the next few Mondays as well. Afternoons differ. On Mondays we go to the library summer program, which has ranged from singing puppets to a fiddler/banjo player. Tuesdays and Thursdays, other Methodist churches come in to lead for the day, and we help support them. On Thursdays, afternoons are spent at the swimming pool, which is a blast. The kids are very active and involved (sometimes, too much so!) but I pray every day that they are learning something, and that their parents are taking good care of them when they go home because they are such great kids! Working with them has truly kept me busy and has been such a blessing this summer! The volunteers, some of whom were on the mission trip with me, have been a joy to work with as well!
Many things have gone on this summer and we're only halfway through. My first sermon was last Sunday, and I think it went pretty well. I was not as nervous as I thought I would be. It's one of those times that you just have to pray that your words touch someone and come across to the people as the Spirit is guiding the words to. Many more sermons are to come, I feel, and I am not worried. Serving Eucharist last Sunday was probably the highlight for me. What an amazing opportunity to serve God! It's hard to describe how it feels to be a part of serving this welcoming and unifying meal.
On a different note, I have been enjoying myself outside of working as well. I've gotten to see quite a few great movies, including attending the midnight premiere of the Dark Knight Rises two nights ago. I enjoy following the news about all that's been happening, and am looking forward to the upcoming Presidential elections. Many good things have taken place in President Obama's term, but much more can still be done. We must keep our officials accountable. I only pray the elected official does not take us backwards. I am planning to get back into practicing very soon, as auditions are coming up in August. I also now have a new bassoon that I'm excited to start using. School is coming up so soon, and I can't believe it's senior year. It will be a great year, and one full of even more discernment.
This summer is definitely one of the most packed and one that I will remember forever.
I hope that each of you is taking some time to yourselves, time to think, learn, pray, meditate, grow, and love. Also, this summer, do something for someone else as well. There are many opportunities to get involved in your communities, and, if you're in Winchester, I know of one that is always looking for volunteers :) Have a great rest of the summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment