Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

First blog

I have wanted to do a blog on my own for a while, so here it is. Not that I think my life is fascinating, but I do enjoy writing things down, just to remember them, and to share with others. Some things I probably won't want to remember, but I'll write them anyway.

In recent news, I'm working at the library at this very moment with only half an hour to go. I actually love it here. I can help people, but I don't stay so busy that I have no time to myself. And it's quiet, which is much different than my other jobs. I enjoy talking, but I also enjoy quiet. As much as it's great here, it would be fun to get to actually try my hand at waitressing. I recently got a job at an Italian restaurant here in Winchester, and I was so excited that I'd finally come across a job of some sort. I was truly willing to do whatever I had to do to work my way up to being a server; well, I have done a lot of work, but have yet to be paid. This summer, at least the way I tried to plan, was supposed to be about building up my "school-depleting" account and raise money for a trip to Honduras in December. I am still planning to fundraise, but I've honestly lost money this summer. My job has yet to pay me because my boss "doesn't have the money". This whole fiasco is making me really really reconsider jobs in general. For one, it's so easy to be picky about what you want and to say, "I could absolutely never work there", but this is not such an easy saying anymore. I see why some people work at McDonald's now; I still don't know if I could go that far at this point, BUT I've seen that people are willing to do anything, work anywhere, because of the state of things. On the other hand, I have learned that it's very very easy to get walked-on at work. Very easy.
The people who work the hardest never get paid the most; but, maybe there are other rewards for those who work hard with little monetary reward. Maybe there is a way to balance the need for money and service rewards. Money is important to survive, but it should not consume our lives; I wish I could get its control out of my current life. But for now, it's back to the job application process. Let me know if you all know of any good restaurants or anywhere to which are worth applying.

This summer has been wonderful so far. Josh Groban was amazing in concert two days ago; I could have listened to his voice all night. Heaven. Thank you, Mom, for a gift that is unforgettable.
Time away from Winchester for a bit was the highlight of my week. Everyone needs a vacation every once in a while, even within your own state. Virginia has a lot to offer!

I'm hoping to get a lot accomplished this summer, but also to enjoy it. Almost every day I step outside, I realize how blessed I am to be alive and to be able to enjoy life, struggles and all, to be able to feel. I hope all of you are having a great summer so far! Much more to come.

2 comments:

  1. Hey lady!!! I saw on fb you had a blog going, I recently started my first blog here on blogspot as well :)
    -Samantha
    P.S: I am following you on here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Samantha,
    Cool:) I will check yours out!!
    Rachel
    P.S. Ill follow you, too:p

    ReplyDelete